50s cinema charm meets modern retail design: thanks to the extensive renovation work carried out by Schwitzke Project as general contractor, the Tommy Hilfiger store on Berlin’s Kurfürstendamm now presents itself in a new look. Inspired by the history of the premises, which once served the Astor cinema, the cinematic look runs through the two-storey listed building dating back to 1896. This is the third time that the Düsseldorf-based shopfitting specialist has been commissioned to redesign the flagship shop on Berlin’s most famous boulevard according to the specifications of Tommy Hilfiger’s creative team.
In order to add a small, integrated café area to the shop, Schwitzke Project installed a new façade element that serves as direct access to the café. On the upper and lower floors of the store, the former floor was replaced by parquet with stone frieze and the sanitary facilities and changing area were kept in expressive red. The entire store is dominated by the colour spectrum of the US fashion brand: red, white and blue.
In addition to repairing and renewing the entire electrical installations, fire protection and air conditioning, Schwitzke Project also optimised the storage areas and built new staff rooms. The highlight of the ground floor is a popcorn counter with a 50s look that serves as a cash desk. The former large-screen as well as some screens and curtains reminiscent of past theatre times pay tribute to the building’s almost 70-year cinema past.